What to make with your summer squash?
Easy! Ritz Cracker Summer Squash Bliss!
This recipe is soooooo incredibly delicious and sooooooo incredibly easy to make.
My husband turns his nose to summer squash. He’s not a fan. When I made these for him, he couldn’t stop eating! Seriously- couldn’t stop! My kids even ate without any complaints!
I owe a lot to my wonderful mother who taught me that you can get your family to eat next to nearly anything you want them to, if you present it in the right way. For example My Momma’s Zucchini Bread With Dark Chocolate Chips.
Growing up we had a huge garden and one of the vegetables she always grew was squash. I am now a lover of summer squash because of her wonderfully creative recipes!
Ritz cracker summer squash bliss, as I call it, is like squash crack! One bite and you want more and more. So, to be on the safe side, make sure you have an extra summer squash on hand to supply the demand!😜
Start by slicing your summer squash in approximately 1/4″ rounds. (If you cut the slices too thick the squash won’t cook thru before the crackers burn.)
Take the entire sleeve of Ritz Crackers and put them in a gallon ziplock bag. (Make sure the bag is sealed or you will have cracker confetti!). My favorite part is pounding them into crumbs! (Use the flat side of a meat pounder). I find it helps me release my anger towards the devil squirrels that like to dig in my garden! Now that I have released my frustrations, pour the crackers in a shallow bowl.
In another shallow bowl beat an egg (if you beat real fast this helps release some frustrations too and besides that, it’s fun!)
Time to coat the yellow beauties. First dip the summer squash into the egg and then into the Ritz Crackers. Getting closer and closer to bliss😋
Add just enough cooking oil to cover the bottom of a large skillet. Heat the oil over medium high heat until hot. Add the summer squash to the skillet and cook until browned and flip over to brown the other side. About 2-4 minutes per side.
Oh my gosh my mouth is watering! Bliss is almost here! Before you dig in, remove from pan and place on a paper towel lined plate to absorb the extra oil.
NOW IS THE TIME!
Plate and serve! Please remember to savor every bite! If you are sharing these, you better make sure you get a few on your plate right away or you might not get a chance for seconds! Lol
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
Thanks for reading!
- 1 medium yellow summer squash 7-10" long
- 1 sleeve of Ritz Crackers
- 1 egg, beaten
- Approximately 1/8 cup cooking oil
- Slice the squash into 1/4" rounds
- Crush the sleeve of Ritz Crackers in a gallon ziplock bag by pounding them with the flat end of a meat mallet or by rolling with a rolling pin
- Beat the egg in a shallow bowl
- Dip the squash into the egg and then into the cracker crumbs
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat until hot
- Add the squash in a single layer and cook until golden brown
- Turn over and cook the other side until golden brown. About 2-4 minutes on each side.
- Remove from skillet and place on a paper towel lined plate to absorb any extra oil