Chocolate Chips, Zucchini, Carrots Oh My!
Summer is just around the corner.
I love when my summer vegetables are ready to be picked and created into glorious food for my family to devour!
When the Zucchini Squash is just right (between 6-8″ long) it’s time to bake!
The family favorite is Zucchini Bread.
I wanted to post this at the beginning of the gardening season so you have a chance to save a terrific recipe for your zucchini.
The original recipe came from my mom. She said the only way my sisters and I would eat it was if she mixed in some chocolate chips.
So, over the years I have “tweaked” it to become a favorite of all.
So, let’s see here, zucchini, carrots, sunflower seeds, granola and dark chocolate chips in a bread? Sounds pretty healthy to me!
Ok so, it’s not that healthy. But it’s absolutely amazing!
I have been asked “Can you substitute the oil for applesauce? Will it still be good?” Honestly I don’t know. Here’s a link to how you would go about doing just that!
But I say why mess with perfection? Just kidding, maybe I’ll try it someday, maybe I won’t. This is, in my opinion, the most delicious zucchini bread ever!
I hope you enjoy as much as we do!
Please enjoy the step by step pictorial.
If you want to freeze the second loaf wrap in aluminum foil and place in a freezer bag. We have enjoyed our frozen zucchini bread after being frozen for 6 months! It still tasted fabulous!
My Momma’s Zucchini Bread (with dark chocolate chips)
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup Oil
- 1 1/2 Cups Sugar
- 2 Cups Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
- 2 Cups Zucchini, grated
- 1/2 Cup Carrot, grated
- 1 Cup Chopped Nuts and/or sunflower seeds.
- 1 Cup Granola
- 1 Cup Dark Chocolate Chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350°
- Grease bottom only of two bread pans.
- In large bowl combine eggs, oil and sugar.
- Mix well.
- In second bowl mix flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Combine together. Mixture will be thick.
- Add carrots and zucchini. Stir well.
- Add granola, nuts and chocolate chips. Stir well.
- Divide the bread mix in half and add to the bread pans.
- Bake 35-45 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool and remove from pan.
- Can be eaten right away or stored in tinfoil in the freezer for up to six months.