Mushroom Lovers This One Is For You! Chicken Marsala with provolone cheese.
I love a really good Chicken Marsala. The problem is, it’s really hard to find one!
I have tried to order this dish at Italian restaurants several times. It seems they all miss the mark in some way or another. Too salty, too mushy, too tough, too dry. I have had them all.
I decided to create the most delicious Chicken Marsala with provolone at home.
Start by pounding chicken breasts to about 1/4″ thickness.
Next dredge the chicken in flour seasoned with garlic powder, paprika and crushed tri colored peppercorns.
Heat 4 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet on medium-high heat.
Brown the chicken on both sides.
Place the chicken on paper towels to absorb the extra butter.
In the same skillet add 1 container of sliced mushrooms. Sauté in the remaining butter until golden brown.
Now add 1 1/2 cups Marsala Cooking Wine. Let sauce reduce by 1/3.
Add 4 more tablespoons of butter 😋 and mix in.
Top the chicken with a slice of Provolone cheese, spoon Marsala sauce over chicken and cooked egg noodles.
I really hope you enjoy Chicken Marsala with provolone!
Thanks for reading!
- 1 pound or 4 small chicken breasts, pounded
- 4 tablespoons of butter for sautéing
- Dredge coating (see below)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp crushed tri colored peppercorns
- 1 container sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups Marsala Cooking Wine
- 4 Tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- Egg noodles
- Pound the chicken to 1/4" thickness
- Prepare the dredge and cover both sides of the chicken in the dredge.
- In a large skillet melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium high heat.
- Brown chicken on both sides.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess butter.
- In the same skillet, with the butter that is left in the pan, sauté the mushrooms until golden.
- Add the Marsala to the mushrooms and reduce by 1/3.
- Add the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter to the Marsala sauce stirring until melted.
- Spoon cooked egg noodles onto the plate.
- Place a chicken breast on the noodles.
- Place a slice of provolone cheese on top of each chicken breast.
- Spoon Marsala sauce over the top.